Belated Review: Love and Other Drugs

Monday January 10th 2011

I’ve been doing a lot of crying at movies recently. In the last couple of weeks alone, I’ve sobbed my way through Titanic, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Rachel Getting Married. Though it contains Anne Hathaway on significantly worse form, I will also admit to shedding a few tears during Love and Other Drugs.

I’m a total sucker for anything that deals with…

a) love
b) loss
c) death
d) all of the above

Unfortunately for me, Love and Other Drugs is a stone cold d in its portrayal of a relationship suffering under the strain of a degenerative disorder. At least, that’s what it is for 30% of its runtime. Confusingly, the other 70% is allocated to…

It would be difficult for even the best of movies to take the strain of all that, and predictably, Love and Other Drugs fails miserably at the task. But to forget that at least one small aspect of the movie had something going for it would be to do it a disservice.

And that’s why 48% is about right.